Thursday, November 17, 2011

Quilt for baby?

Some of you know that my goal for 2011 was to learn how to quilt. I have always wanted to learn but I do not have anyone in my family who could teach me so I signed up for a beginners quilting class at Intown Quilters in Decatur. I highly recommend this class. It is taught by Maxine Moore who is a fabulous quilter and teacher. So far, including the quilt we made in class, I have made five quilts. Not too shabby when you realize that two of these were king size. I also made all of those by June. I started my sixth quilt, also a king size, in June. Being out of the country for most of July, returning to work in August, and having "morning sickness" for three months caused me to get a little backed up. Now I am back on track and hope to have this one finished by the first of the new year. Here is a little preview.
This is by far the most intricate quilt I have attempted. The first step was cutting lots of little strips of fabric and then sewing them into blocks. Next, I cut these blocks back into six inch squares and stacked them into stacks of hundreds to keep track of my progress.

Now, I am in the process of sewing these squares into rows and then sewing my rows together to make one very large quilt top. More pictures of the progress coming soon!

One bonus of this project is that I have a lot of extra strips of fabric left over. I am thinking of making a smaller quilt just like this for the nursery. What do you think?

Also, I hope to have an update on the dresser soon. I started sanding this week with my brand new sanders (That's right, I have two. Thanks, Dad!). And we should be getting the primer and paint today!

1 comment:

  1. Let me know if you need help quilting, sanding or painting next week!!!

    ReplyDelete