Monday, December 12, 2011

Baby Belknap has a Registry

Several people have asked me about where we are registered so I thought I would share some info about it on the blog. So, anyone who came looking for pictures, I apologize. There will be no pictures in this post.

For anyone who was around for the wedding, you may know that I find the process of registering for gifts incredibly stressful. I walk in, feel overwhelmed, and shut down. The baby registry process started out the same way. I have been stressing about it for months. The baby registry stressed me out even more than the wedding registry. I think this was true for a few reasons. First, similar to the wedding registry, it just feels strange to make a list of things for others to buy me. But then I think about how much I love getting gifts for others and just try to get over it. Second, when I look at baby items it makes the whole thing seems very real. I am sometimes able to block out the fact that in a few short months I am going to be responsible for keeping a tiny baby alive. How do you figure out exactly what you will need to help you do this? Third, although I had many married friends to offer advice about the wedding registry, not many of my close friends have gone through child bearing and rearing yet.

So for the last few months I have sporadically gone in and added random items to the couple of registries I had started. Finally, last week I got serious about it. To help me figure out exactly what I need I turned to my good friend, Nan. Nan and her husband, Kris, had their little girl, Mary Hayes, in January. Nan has been so patient sending me pages (literally, pages!) of information about what they used and other information about the realities of having a baby. I am so grateful to her for her expertise and candor.

So I can finally say that we are registered! For anyone who cares we are registered at BuyBuy Baby and Amazon. In an effort to be real with you I will admit that I spent several hours Saturday morning stalking the baby registries of anyone I know who had a baby in the last year to make sure I covered all my bases. I'm sure there are things I have forgotten but for now I feel good about it.

Interesting fact: there is another Sarah Belknap who lives in NY and is due 5 days before me!

No comments:

Post a Comment